Top 10 sportspersons from Karnataka
Karanataka has been a State which has produced some of the finest Sportspersons for Indian sports. Some of the sporting legends from this state include Gundappa Vishwanath, Roger Binny, Syed Kirmani, Ulaganathan, Sabu Varkey, KV Varadaraj, Rahul Dravid, Ashish Ballal, Ashwini Nachappa, Jude Felix, Prakash Padukone, Aparna Popat, Xavier Vijaykumar and many more.
Now lets look at the top 10 sportspersons who are bringing laurels for India in Sports even today.
10. SV Sunil- A member of the Indian Hockey team. Part of the Indian hockey team which played in London olympics. A knee injury threatened his career in 2010 and he had to sit out of the 2010 World Cup. He was operated and could not play for a year. But he came back strongly to the Indian hockey team with some brilliant domestic performances after getting healed. Has been gaining praises from all corners especially Michael Nobbs the coach.
9. Rohan Bopanna- Bopanna distinguished himself as one of India's finest doubles players at the 2007 Hopman Cup. Has been a prominent name in Indian Tennis. Achieved highest world tennis ranking of 217 in singles and 8 in doubles. Has represented India in Olympics, Asian games and Commonwealth games. Has also been a part of the Indian Davis cup team.
8. Vikas Gowda- Although Vikas was born in the Palace city of Mysore he was brought up in US. Has been India's best discuss thrower for several years and also represented India in several Olympics, Asian games and Commonwealth games. His personal best throw is 66.28 meters which is also Indian national record in discus throw, achieved in April 2012.
7. Nithin Thimmaiah- He has been the latest man from Karnataka to be part of the Indian Hockey team. He is again a product from the Hockey capital of Karnataka, Kodagu. Shot to fame after brilliant performance in Hockey India League. Was part of the Indian squad whic participated in the recently concluded Azlan Shah Tournament.
6. Ashwini ponnappa- Has been a popular name in Woman's badminton in India. Shot to fame along with Jwala Gutta when they won the Gold in women's doubles in Commonwealth games in 2010 held in Delhi. After that she was a part of the Indian contingent for the London Olympics. Has achieved a career best ranking of 13 in World Badminton Womens doubles rankings.
5. S K Uthappa- Yet again a product from Kodagu. Uthappa made his international debut against South Africa on 16 January 2012 during the first match of the Karbonn Cup Hockey five-match test series. He scored a goal in his debut match at the 53rd minute mark. In that series, he scored 3 goals in the process. He was also given a special award from Hockey India for scoring in his debut match. From there on he has consistently been part of Indian Hockey team. Was part of the Indian Hockey squad for London Olympics.
4. V R Raghunath- Again a product from Kodagu. One of the threatening dragflickers in Indian Hockey. A wall in the Indian defence. Was one of the highest paid players in the recently concluded Indian Hockey League. Has been a consistent goal scorer for India in the recent tournaments. Was also a part of the Indian Hockey squad for London Olympics.
3. Arjun Halappa- Is another product from the Hockey capital of Karnataka Kodagu. Has been in the Indian Hockey team for more than 10 years. Has captained Indian Hockey team and also played in Olympics, Asian games and Commonwealth games. Is one of the most experienced players in Indian Hockey today.
2. Vinay Kumar- Is the current captain of Karnataka state cricket team. Has been a consistent wicket taker for Karnataka in domestic matches. Has been part of the Indian cricket team in Test, One day's and T-20's. He is Affectionately called as "The Davangere Express". Has played for Royal Challengers Bangalore and Kochi tuskers Kerala in IPL. Was part of the Indian team for 2010 ICC World T-20 championship.
1. Girisha H Nagarajegowda- Shot to fame after winning silver medal in Paralympic games. Winning the Silver medal in the finals with a jump of 1.74 meters using scissors technique, he became the 8th Indian to win a medal at the Paralympics. Girisha's first taste of success was when he won a prize at the State-level sports meet in Dharwad when he competed with normal sportsmen. He was awarded Padma Shri by the Indian government in 2013. At a time when able bodied athletes are finding it tough to win medals in Olympics, Girisha's medal is certainly a motivating factor.
One of the most dissapointing factor has been the lack of footballers from Karnataka in Indian football team.